Sunday, November 25, 2007

 

Wayne Manor

I drove to OKC on Friday to help Rickus paint baby Levi's room. They're decorating the nursery in a safari theme and decided green and brown walls would go swell with all the elephants and giraffes and monkeys. It's a really cute room for what is destined to be a really cute kid.

Before I left on Saturday, Katie offered to take me by Wayne's house. I figured a quick run there and back couldn't hurt. It wasn't far, a few blocks, maybe a mile away, so he's practically a neighbor. He's probably not even there. Besides, he seems like such a friendly guy and really if he didn't want folks to drive by his house in the middle of the day at ridiculously slow speeds he wouldn't have put the cross streets near his home into his documentary, right? Still, I felt a little weird about it since driving by the home of one of your rock heroes might be misconstrued as borderline stalker behavior, and I said as much. Briefly. While climbing into Katie's car.

We get there and I immediately fall in love with the windows, which have a colorful design swirled across the top. As I'm gushing about the windows and how great the house is and how great it is that Wayne is so down to earth and accessible (I could walk right up to his door and ring the bell! in theory), I catch some movement in the second story. It was Wayne. Washing windows. He mows his own lawn and does windows. I try not to point. Katie turns the car around at the end of the block (he'll just think we're lost, she says) and makes one more pass by his house before we head back to 24th street.

Is it weird that one of the highlights of my Thanksgiving holiday was getting to see Wayne Coyne doing household chores?

Comments:
Stick with me, kid, and someday I'll take you by the old Long John Silver's where he used to work.
 
One of the highlights from this year's Provincetown Film Festival was walking by John Waters' house only to see him step out in sweat pants and a t-shirt to unceremoniously take out the trash. Just 30 minutes later, he was at an event, in full John Waters buttonup-shirt/jacket regalia.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits