Thursday, June 08, 2006

 

Give my regards to Broadway

So, Wednesday night I treated my inner child to a performance of The Lion King at the Tulsa PAC. I got our tickets six months ago and the six-year-old in me has had a really hard time containing her excitement ever since. She’s been happily humming Hakuna Matata and outright belting I Just Can't Wait to be King, and periodically she’s made me stop people to let them know in an overly animated way that, hey! I have TICKETS! to see The LION KING! By opening night, I was all about being up in Simba’s circle of life, which is wacky because as a rule I do not get too excited about musicals. But this was The LION KING and I had already committed the songs (consequently, do you know how hard it is not to sing along at a musical when you know and love the songs?) and huge chunks of dialogue to memory. How can you go wrong? That's just it! You CAN'T because it's The Lion King!

Holy shiitake mushrooms was it ever swell! Absolutely PHENOMENAL! The music, the costumes, the performances - all incredible. It pulls you in from the moment Rafiki takes the stage to belt that first powerful note and holds your imagination and heart until Simba and Nala climb Pride Rock to introduce their new cub at the end. It is visually stunning and fantastic and I am so ready to go back for an encore. In fact, the morning after the performance, I sat in front of a page of dates and skimmed seating charts looking for seats for another show later in the month - you know, in case I find someone else who needs to take their inner child to the theater.

It's just one of the best things I've ever experienced. I can't say enough great things about it. At least not without a thesaurus.

Comments:
I haven't ever seen it but it is supposed to be everything you've just described it to be. Unlike Beauty and the Beast which I saw on Broadway and thought it sucked.

This was directed by Julie Taymore (spelling?). She directed Frida. When Frida came out a lot of people talked about how colorful the film was and while they were two completely different genres, topics and mediums you could see the similarities.

I'm very jealous. If it's still playing in August I'll go with you.

love
me
 
ROFL I would go with you if I could. I would LOVE that! And so would my inner child, I would imagine LOL
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits