Tuesday, June 19, 2007

 

His gift was a happy wife

One year my grandmother really wanted a new dishwasher. So she hinted and hinted to my grandfather that a dishwasher would be a swell gift, particularly for Mother's Day. At last it was May and Mother's Day arrived and my grandmother was presented with a brand new -- lawn mower. And she was understandably disappointed, but she had a birthday coming up in June, so she continued to hint and hope for that new dishwasher. On her birthday, my grandparents went to town, and my grandmother waited anxiously outside the store while Grandpa made his purchases because she just KNEW that this time she would get her dishwasher. And when after what seemed like forever he finally emerged from the store, my grandmother was presented with – another lawn mower. Of course, Father’s Day was right around the corner, so my grandmother called Sears to order a gift for my grandfather. Sears delivered her purchase a few days later, and for Father’s Day, my grandfather was presented with a brand new dishwasher.

Flash forward to Father’s Day 2007. To avoid a repeat of last year (he didn't receive his gift until April of this year, a mere 10 months late), I left the house Saturday morning (an entire day early!) with every intention of returning with a Father's Day present for Justin. I even had a specific something in mind, a new book, released this very month by an author who, I felt, would be fairly well known. Surely, surely, even in this area of Oklahoma , I wouldn't have a terribly hard time locating a copy. Yeah. So, two book stores later and still no book. This wouldn’t have been so bad if Bartlesville had more than two book stores, and if I had been pessimistic enough to come up with a backup gift. But they don't and I wasn't and then I got sidetracked at the mall by, of all things, clothes. On Sale. In the women's department. Clothes that I actually liked and that liked me back. Nice clothes, comfy clothes, clothes that pleaded to go home with me, and who was I to say no, no I can't possibly buy you today, despite our immediate rapport, because tomorrow is Father’s Day and I still don’t have a gift? So, for Father’s Day I presented Justin with brand new clothes – for me. And then I apologized and hurried into the other room to place an order online. He should be able to pick up his happy Father's Day present this Thursday.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits