Saturday, March 25, 2006

 

Buggin'

It's the WEEKEND! And we have absolutely NO PLANS. Again. As is our custom.

I passed up the opportunity to go with Justin and little girl to see the baby calf at Grandpa Larry's... to at stay home and hang out with the ants. The ants who bullied us all last spring and summer. The ants who are now gradually marching one by one from their dishwasher safe haven to our bedroom and master bath, no doubt scouting for a summer home at the sink.

One brazen black ant wandered over to the computer desk earlier this morning. I watched it scurry over the keyboard, mousepad, and back and forth along the desk top for fifteen minutes or so, all the while trying to decide if I wanted to give it the finger of death. I didn't. In the end, I couldn't do it. Ants are really stinky when squished, and, anyway, who wants a death on their hands (literally) first thing in the morning? Besides, I'm having a rough enough time dealing with my own mortality these days, so it didn't really seem right by my twisted reckoning to take the life of another, even that of a pesky ant. I blew it off the table instead, and the ant lived to see another day.

So we now have two members of our household who are reluctant to kill insects. Fucking pacifists. Still, something must be done. And Soon. The kitchen ants seem to be building up some sort of freakish immunity to the ant spray we've been slathering them with (very reluctantly and with heavy hearts, of course). If you have any effective remedies to expell our houseguests, please let me know.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits