Thursday, January 25, 2007

 

Every little counts

Earlier this week, I finally sat down to watch An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore's documentary film about climate change and global warming. And while it didn't make me cry, it did make me want to take action as soon as the credits rolled. Luckily, it was during the closing credits that the film offers some suggestions, 10 simple things to help do your part to stop global warming. Things as easy as replacing regular light bulbs with energy saving light bulbs, turning off electronic devices not in use, using less hot water, and, of course, recycling.

I had a similarly strong reaction to Supersize Me. After watching the film, I was determined to stop eating fast food. Right. I think I lasted a month or so before hitting a drive-thru. This time, I wanted to do something and I wanted it to stick. So, we're slowly replacing our light bulbs at the house and I've been doing a bit o' scouting to see where the local recycling centers are tucked away. In the meantime, I've taken my mini crusade to the office. I noticed that my co-workers had become quite the avid water drinkers, so today I finally suggested setting up a receptacle for plastic bottles. So we did. There is now a lined box on the 3rd floor next to the bins for aluminum cans. I even had someone volunteer to drop off the bottles as needed (thanks, Holly!). It's not much, but it's a start.

Comments:
Good for you! Next thing I know, you'll be in the recycling pit with Rick. Which is fine, as long as you're, you know, recycling.

Go Nanda!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits