Wednesday, January 18, 2006

 

Silent stupidity

Every woman should regularly do a breast self-exam. You know this. I know this. And yet, I miserably confess, I rarely (if ever) do them. For one thing, BSEs are awkward strange. Mashing around on my breasts once a month in search of scary irregularities and lumps is not exactly my idea of a good time. For another, I am L.A.Z.Y. Things just don't always occur to me, especially things regarding my health, and when they do, I certainly can't be bothered with them. I'm also apparently still stuck in that irresponsible 'invincible me' phase. Cancer schmancer. 27-year-olds don't get cancer. Or at least not this 27-year-old. Pass me the aspertame!

About a month ago, it occurred to me that it had been a goodly amount of time since I last felt myself up. So, I decided to conduct a self-exam that night before I nodded off to sleep. And wouldn't you know, a few pokes and mashes later, I find something. Or think I've found something. A lumpy something in the lower part of my left breast.

Now, I don't do this with any regularity whatsoever, so I have NO IDEA what is normal and what is not. And, as a quick internet search on the subject will tell you, most women have some lumps all the time. That's why you are supposed to familiarize yourself with the way they normally look and feel. So you won't panic. This makes sense to any rational, clear thinking person. But I can assure you, if you think you've found a lumpy something that has absolutely NO business being in your body, rational and clear thinking are a far cry from what you are.

So, over the last month I have been silently freaking the fuck out. Until, Monday, I really couldn't take it anymore and I called Dr. Miller for an appointment. I was supposed to see him back in June or July, but after all the pregnancy-related poking and prodding I endured the year before, I thought to heck with that! and never made the call. I'm a smartee. What can I say?

My appointment is February 8 in the afternoon. That leaves me a few weeks to obsess and scare myself silly. I've done this to myself before and it was nothing. I'm sure it's nothing this time, too.

Comments:
You're not alone in not doing your monthly self-exams. Most women don't. And some studies show that those women that are feeling themselves up every month aren't feeling for or finding the right things anyway.

Very frustrating.

You're right that it's probably nothing, but you won't feel better until you know. I'm glad you made the appointment.
 
Ya know Nanda, guys really should preform monthly self exams too. But most guys aren't even aware of the need. That coupled with the fact that most guys want to squeeze and squish their own testis about as much as they want to have their penis slammed in a door (though a few visits to some of David's posts would have you believing that that's not all that uncommon.) So the fact that you feel your self up at all puts you head and shoulders above most men. Feel tall? Good! You deserve to feel tall! I'm glad you made the appointment.

rickus
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits