Monday, November 06, 2006

 

Fitter Happier

For months I've been going on and on (though mostly to myself since everyone else is pretty much tired of hearing it by now) about the need to increase my physical activity. And for months my lazy self has been taking action to protect its interests by focusing time and energy on creating reasons to discourage me from doing any activity that remotely smacked of exercise. The weather was never right to walk. No time in the evenings to reshape my body with Debbie Sieber, what with all the walking back and forth to the kitchen and the marathon couch sitting. Girls from work sacrificing their thirty-minute lunch to go to the gym? Again? Can't. It cuts into my lunch hour.

I know I should go. I tell them as much each day as they file out of the office, and I even make promises to join them the next day, or the day after when I finally remember to bring my shoes and a change of clothes, or maybe at the beginning of the month, that way I'll be sure to get my money's worth for the $15 monthly fee, the steep one that the gym doesn't prorate.

And then last night I caved. While I was sleeping, my dream self agreed to go with the girls to the gym to sign up for a membership, even though it was during my lunch hour and it was not the first of the month. Only when she got there, she noticed that the facility had a limited number of machines, so she was a little put off by that. But, she was there and she signed up and she successfully navigated the initial health screenings (all newbies are weighed, have their blood pressure taken, and are pricked for a blood sugar screening - JOY!).

So, today when the girls rounded everyone up to head for the gym, I filed out with them. I'll be damned if my subconscious self slims down before I do.

Comments:
Go dream self! I wish my subconscious were as motivated as your subconscious.
 
The trick will be to actually make myself set foot in the gym again. I missed today. We'll see how tomorrow goes.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits