Thursday, November 09, 2006

 

The tourist

So, here's the thing. I have never been to the state capitol. Shocking, I know. I mean, how is that someone who was born and raised in Oklahoma manages to escape childhood without a field trip to the state capitol?

This afternoon I accompanied Justin to Oklahoma City to attend the opening ceremony for Hidden Voices, Coded Words, an exhibit honoring the Choctaw and Comanche code talkers. On our way to the museum, I kind of let it slip that I hadn't set foot inside the state capitol. Really? (pause) Really? So after the ceremony (which made me cry) and a tour of the exhibit (check it out if you're in the OKC area) I was ushered over to the capitol for a quick peek under the dome before anyone else found out and threatened to rescind my state residency.









Comments:
I actually went on a "field trip" to the capitol three years ago--believe it or not, it was required at my nursing school. I dreaded it at first since it would be my seventh or eighth time to tour the capitol, but doing it as an adult was actually fun. If you ever have the chance to take a guided tour, I highly recommend it. The building itself and the history of it are quite interesting.

Wish I could have seen you yesterday!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits