Tuesday, April 11, 2006

 

Can I click it? (yes you can)

Barely. And only when using the automatic settings (you know, the SIMPLE ones for the neophytes). For now.

On Tuesday, all that separated me from my D50 was three to four days… and the eastern half of the country. The order had been finalized. And upgraded. I knew the pitch for a lens upgrade was coming. KNEW it. And I thought I was ready. I practiced firmly, but politely, declining the upgrade (No, no – the kit lens is fine. Really. May I have my camera now?) immediately prior to placing the call to representative Morris... only to quickly cave after being talked into the 1 gig, high speed memory card (I blame the Brooklyn accent) that I had stupidly forgotten to toss in my 'basket' with the camera when I ordered online. Hopeless. Anyway, the camera in all its upgraded glory was on the way, and that was all that mattered. I spent the next three days calling the house several dozen times to interrupt my mother’s baby wrangling to ask, Is it there yet? How about now? And now? because surely silly Morris was mistaken. Surely, it wouldn’t take a full four days to ship a camera from New York to Oklahoma.

The package arrived on the afternoon of day four.

Reviews for the D50 described it as an entry-level digital SLR geared toward family photographers and those timidly stepping up from the point-and-shoot cameras. Family photographer stepping up from the ol' point-and-shoot? Check and check. Somewhere along about the umpteenth review, I started replacing entry-level with hairbrained ideas like simple controls, operates with ease, and easy to navigate. And I was excited. New camera. Easy. PERFECT. Now, c'mon! Let's go already! And I'm sure the camera is easy... for those who actually know something about photography and digital SLR cameras. Sadly, I'm not one of those people. Yet. So, the crash course has begun. I'm currently working my way through the user's guide and at some point soon I'll be busting out that there tutorial to give it a looksee. In the meantime, I think I've at least become proficient enough to tackle Maya's first Easter egg hunt(s) this weekend.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits