Monday, February 06, 2006

 

27 Days 4:43:01 and counting

I WILL see all five films nominated for Best Motion Picture before March 5th. This has become my mantra since the nominees were announced by Academy President Sid Ganis and Mira Sorvino bright and early on January 31. I am convinced that if I repeat this verbal formula to myself, and anyone else that will listen, frequently enough then it will somehow make it true.

It is always my intention to at least watch the nominees for best picture (because, let's face it, trying to watch all the films nominated in each category, while fun, would just be a bit obnoxious) prior to the broadcast each year. I think four (in 2001) was the most my intentions and I have ever managed. Consequently, 2001 was the year that nearly ended my long career as an Oscar enthusiast (Seriously. Gladiator? Tommy Lee Jones' win for his performance in The Fugitive was hard enough, but Gladiator?)

This year, I have my mantra, a willing husband, and two films (Brokeback Mountain and Crash) already under my belt. It also helps that I am genuinely interested in all the movies singled out by the Academy this year for best picture. And my gawd, the fantastic smattering of independent films! Maybe I can sneak in a viewing of Transamerica for good measure..

So, 27 days to watch Capote, Good Night and Good Luck, and Munich. That's doable. Right?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits