Thursday, January 26, 2006

 

Bad night

What NOT to do at 3 o'clock in the morning:
*think about breast cancer
*think about dying
*think about breast cancer in conjunction with dying
*think that researching breast cancer at that hour is a good idea
*actually GO to WebMD and pull up information about breast cancer

None of these things are really conducive to getting you back to sleep if you find yourself suddenly awake in the middle of the night. And the idea of cancer becomes instantly more frightening while lying there in the dark with only your mind for company.

They say knowledge is empowering, though, and I suppose I can take comfort in some of the information I found at the site. For instance, breast cancer, when detected early, is 90% curable. Find a lump? Don't panic. 80% of all breast lumps are benign. Most cancerous tumors (41%) are found in the upper outer portion of the breast, and that's not where my lumpy something is. And, a family history doesn't necessarily mean that you're destined for a diagnosis. Only 5-10% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have a family member who had it. So, there you go. Strength in numbers.

I still have two weeks of worry before I go to the doctor. Any happy thoughts you could send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Comments:
any advice I could give on how to calm yourself down at night when your mind takes hold and relentlessly attacks your sensibilities would be me making stuff up because I have yet to find a cure for myself. I will say that I have very fiborous breasts and often alarm myself by thinking I've found something.

I would also say that you were a diligent breast feeder and that could have messed your boobs up a bit. I say this with no knowledge of breast feeding or medicine. It just came to mind...just now.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits