Tuesday, January 24, 2006

 

My version is better..

So, this afternoon I was sitting at my desk, minding my own, when out of nowhere I start humming Africa by Toto. My co-worker plays her radio during the day, and KBEZ had included the soft rock favorite as part of their daily line up. This song always makes me smile, if not outright laugh. You see, it harbors my most favorite of all my lyrical flub ups.

I'm sure you've heard it. Catchy tune. The chorus goes a little something like this:

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had


Only, growing up, I always sang it like this:

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men ON MARS could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had


I didn't realise just how wrong I had been until Justin kindly corrected me years later - in the mid 90s. Good times. Turns out, I'm not alone in my mistake. I still think my version is better than the original.

Comments:
Holy crap! I've been singing that song wrong, too. Only I thought that it was, "I'll catch some rays down in Africa," instead of "I bless the rains..." And I wasn't alone, either.

Hmm, why is he blessing the rains anyway? Maybe I should listen to more than just the chorus.
 
My mystery word was: furikis

Definition: Rick when he hasn't shaved for a few days.
 
I, um, usually kind of mumbled through that line. I didn't really know he was blessing the rains down in Africa, either.

Furikis. That's probably the best mystery word I've seen yet.
 
I always thought he was saying "I guess the rain's down in Africa" That makes no sense, but I guess I thought there was a drought where he was (which wasn't Africa).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?




hits